Stained, discolored, or dull teeth can be eyesores to an otherwise beautiful smile. Many individuals feeling self-conscious about their smiles seek out teeth whitening treatments to brighten the appearance of their teeth and remove stains.
Because teeth stains so easily from some of our favorite foods like soda, wine, and other substances, teeth whitening is one of the most common treatments our cosmetic dentist provides. But deciding to whiten teeth requires a lot of thought and asking some important questions.
In answer to the above question (are teeth whitening strips safe?), yes they are! Such strips use a bleach or peroxide that lightens the surface color of teeth for an overall whiter appearance. Each kit comes with its own set of instructions for how long the strips should be worn to ensure that they don’t damage enamel or make teeth feel too sensitive. Be sure you follow the packaging’s instructions, and avoid teeth whitening strips with chlorine dioxide that will erode enamel little by little.
Read other commonly asked questions about teeth whitening below when you’re considering this cosmetic treatment to remove teeth stains!
What are my options for whitening or bleaching teeth?
Your first decision when it comes to teeth whitening treatments is to decide whether or not to receive professional treatments or try over-the-counter options. Store-bought products do offer greater affordability, but at the cost of less than perfect and sometimes slower results.
- Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening Strips or Kits: Such whitening strips and kits can be purchased at your local pharmacy and are the most cost-effective treatment. However, not all teeth stains are on the surface alone. For more intrinsic stains under enamel, these over-the-counter products won’t get you the complete results you want.
- Teeth Whitening Toothpaste: We recommend using a teeth whitening toothpaste to maintain the brightness of already treated teeth. For patients relying on a whitening toothpaste alone, results will vary and not to the degree that other treatments offer.
For more consistent and long-lasting results, professional teeth whitening is the way to go. At Lucille Dental’s office in Wasilla, AK, we offer both take-home whitening trays and professional teeth whitening strips with the strength to whiten teeth in as little as 30-45 minutes.
- Professional Teeth Whitening Trays: Unlike other over-the-counter teeth whitening kits, we custom-create your teeth whitening trays using a mold of your teeth. This makes the trays more comfortable for patients and allows the whitening gel placed in the trays to get in between crevices and crooked teeth, unlike over-the-counter strips that only bleach the flat surface of teeth.
- Professional Teeth Whitening Strips: Our dental practice is proud to provide our patients with Zoom! These professional teeth whitening strips are applied in our Wasilla office and left on the patient’s teeth for a period of 30 to 45 minutes. After that time, the strip can be removed to reveal dramatically whiter teeth! If you’re seeking fast results, this is one of the most effective treatments in such a short amount of time.
- In-Office Teeth Whitening: Lucille Dental also offers Sinsational Smile, a 20-minute teeth whitening procedure completed within just a single appointment. Unlike other professional treatments, Sinsational Smile only requires a 1 minute prep time with its unique, pre-filled whitening trays. Once the trays are in, our dentist will apply an LED light that triggers the whitening agents for a quick and painless procedure. In fact, over 90% of patients don’t feel any sensitivity from the treatment! It’s proven to brighten teeth by 2-5 shades and was voted the best in-office teeth whitening system for the past four years. Plus, you’ll receive a whitening pen to take home with you if you ever need to touch up certain spots!
Are teeth whitening kits bad for your teeth?
Similar to the question, “Are teeth whitening strips safe?” most whitening kits are safe to use, but still require some caution on your part. Always read the labels and never leave the strips or trays in longer than is required.
The potential danger behind such treatments comes from unsafe chemicals (only used in a handful of products) and too long exposure to components that could damage enamel. However, by following the instructions provided in the kit or by your dentist clearly, you’ll have nothing to worry about.
Feeling some sensitivity after or during treatment is common among patients no matter which type of teeth whitening product you use. Your dentist may recommend a sensitive toothpaste to use during treatment, as well as avoiding food and drink that is too hot or too cold. This would only be a cause for concern if sensitivity continues long after treatment ends, in which case contact your dentist for further examination.
Which teeth whitening works best?
The answer to this question will depend on the patient. Again, some products only bleach teeth on the surface. Granted, this is where many stains or discolorations can be resolved, but not all of them. Some patients may also want a quicker solution like Sinsational Smile or other professional teeth whitening treatments for an upcoming event or big occasion.
The best course of action is to meet with your local dentist. He or she will be able to identify the root of the problem and can recommend which teeth whitening solution will be most effective for your particular needs.
Why get teeth whitened?
Finally, are teeth whitening treatments even worth it? To answer that, first ask yourself if you’ve ever felt a need to cover up stained teeth, or if you’ve ever felt uncomfortable smiling or talking for fear of showing off discolored teeth. If you answered yes to these questions, then that may be reason enough to get teeth whitened.
You deserve a smile you feel confident in, one you show off freely and without any fear or hesitation! Our experienced cosmetic dentist is here to help you achieve that beautiful smile of your dreams in less time and at an affordable cost.
Contact Lucille Dental to schedule a teeth whitening consultation today! Learn more about our 20-minute, in-office treatments and other bleaching solutions that dramatically improve teeth shades. Let’s discuss the best options for getting you the bright smile and great results you want.